Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Strobe Lights in Crosswalks

Strobe lights have been installed in a few crosswalks across Maine Street in Brunswick, Maine. Reactions so far are mixed, but the goal of preventing pedestrian injury is extremely laudable.

I haven't seen this particular system, but when I visited London years ago, they had very dim pulsating globes on posts near the entrances to crosswalks. I never saw a car fail to yield to a pedestrian where those were installed.

As a former resident of Brunswick, I can attest to the perils of crossing Maine Street. At some points, there is simply so much traffic to pay attention to, that even an extremely attentive driver can fail to spot a pedestrian. I hope that the new system works, or that the public works people can figure out something else that will work.

Peace,

Tor

Categories: