Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Maine and the SAT

All I can say about Maine's inkling to use the SAT as a required high school test is

DON'T!!!

I coached kids about a decade ago concerning not only the SAT, but also the GRE and LSAT exams. I know firsthand how easy it is to improve a test-taker's score without teaching anything about any subject materials. Indeed, on the "hardest" math questions on the test, even a prodigious student will run out of time if they try and use the methods they learned in school. I taught particulars about the ways the questions were written, how to spot a wrong answer, and how to make good guess even if the test-taker doesn't understand the question at all.

I hate this test and all others like it with a passion. And I did extremely well on it.

Peace,

Tor

Categories: ,

Technorati tags: , ,