Sunday, November 5, 2006

Joe Baiungo and His Campaign Signs

I've gotten an email from Joe Baiungo, the local candidate for District Attorney, whose campaign signs have been creeping me out for weeks.

Tor: Someone emailed me a copy of your blog about my signs; you're not the only one that has commented on the fact that the eyes seem to follow you (the FedEx driver said he waived to me three times the other day). And, yes, they have been the subject of some vandalism; some more creative than others. In Bristol, they drew me up as Gene Simmons from Kiss.

I also recognize the inference about the egotism; the only thing I can say is that it was not comfortable for me to post pictures of myself all over the coast; but the signs have had the effect of getting the attention of people to a race that they otherwise would not know much about.

Regardless of whether I have your support or not, I am hoping you are encouraging people you know to get out and vote for their preferred candidates for this election.

Respectfully, Joe.

www.baiungo.com
Joseph W. Baiungo
111-A Church St.
Belfast, ME 04915
(207) 338-6841


Actually, in the time since I commented on Baiungo's signs, I've had the opportunity to do a little bit of due diligence on the District Attorney's race. Indeed, due to the fact that I'll be out of state on election day, I've already cast my absentee ballot. Baiungo got my vote, and it wasn't just because he sent me an email with many semicolons. For those investigating the issues, a good place to start is at this exchange of letters at VillageSoup. I've also had a few conversations with folks who know Baiungo, and they all felt he was up to the task of being a good prosecutor.

It's good that Baiungo plans to put more emphasis on prosecuting child sexual predators. I do hope that he'll consider making a similar decrease of emphasis on prosecuting nonviolent crimes like ownership of more than a certain amount of marijuana. If we could get folks who just enjoy the use of certain substances out of jail (disclosure: I don't partake, and don't suggest that anyone else should), there'd be plenty of room for the folks who truly need to be removed from society.

Peace,

Tor

Filed Under: