Sunday, July 9, 2006

Ron Paul, aka Dr. No

Today's Washington Post has a profile of Ron Paul, a Republican member of the U.S. House of representatives from Texas. He was the Libertarian Party nominee for President in 1988. That being the first year I could vote in a presidential campaign, I, of course, wasted my vote on Dukakis. I wish I had voted for Paul (and I have voted Libertarian ever since), despite his being more of a paleolibertarian than a left-libertarian.

Probably the best thing about him is his inability to be bought off, and his seeming immunity to the culture in D.C. that has the ability to turn sane souls into power-hungry Machiavellis.

"He's just consistent, consistent, consistent," says Debra Medina, the Wharton County Republican chairwoman. "He always talks about the Constitution and what the federal government ought to be doing, and he consistently articulates this basic mistrust of big government, which I think most people have."


Peace,

Tor

Tagged as: