Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Civil Disobedience Against Inferior Credit and Debit Card Receipts (an Open Trackback Post)

The other night, when I went into a convenience store to pay for my full tank of gas, the store clerk swiped my debit card and quickly offered a two-part carbonless receipt for me to sign. After hastily applying a barely legible Tor Hancock, I handed back the bottom copy and pocketed the top copy.

The clerk quickly protested, "I'm sorry, we get the other copy!"

I replied, "I prefer to keep the legible copy, so I can record the accurate amount in my checkbook tonight."

No further protestation ensued from the clerk.

So there you have it. It's that easy. Next time some convenience store decides to give you a two-part credit or debit card receipt to sign, please join my campaign of civil disobedience and retain the top copy. We are the consumers. We shouldn't be expected to have to call our banks to find out whether those blotchy digits are eights or sixes. If we force the stores, thru our nonviolent civil disobedience, to call their banks to inquire about the correct amounts, we will force the abandonment of two-part receipts in a jiffy. The more progressive stores are already printing out receipts that are just as legible as the ones we're signing; if we all stick together, we can rid the world of the anti-consumer practice of providing inferior receipts to customers.

Then, we can get rid of signatures altogether in favor of the pin pad.

Keep the faith, and keep the top copy!

Peace,

Tor

This is this week's post. Click on the chicklet for an FAQ on open trackbacks. In a nutshell, anyone may send a trackback ping to this post today, provided there is a link to this post in your post. I'll manually put up the links here later today or tomorrow.

Angel of Woman Honor Thyself opined on the U.N., Israel and Hezbollah. Bernie of Planck's Constant rants along a similar vein.

And the Madman Returns, while also getting into the same general topic, rips Eugene Robinson a new one.

Tagged as: