Tuesday, February 22, 2005

So How's the Rangie Doing?

Of course, just when you think that your Range Rover is in fairly decent working order, something traumatic happens. Sunday afternoon, as I was preparing to head in to run matinees at the movie theater, I started the old girl up. This in itself was a wonderful thing, and further proof that the battery that had been replace the previous week had indeed been defective.

The trouble started as I tried to shift the automatic transmission into gear. The lever moved, but with great difficulty. I tried moving it back and forth, and after a few tries, the lever was moving totally freely. But TOOOOOOOOO freely.

So I turned the Rangie off, and took the Honda Civic to work. On Monday (a rare day off from my day job), I took the cover off the lever box and found that the shift cable had snapped right at where it joins the lever. I'm hoping to be able to take the whole cable off this weekend, clean and lubricate it, and reattach it somehow. If anyone has any good suggestions, I'm all ears. I might end up buying a new or salvaged cable, tho. New ones run ---aaaaghh!--- $300.00 or more. I did find a salvaged one on eBay that would run about a third of that.

Stay tuned.

Peace,

Tor
Filed Under: